We are looking for a rockstar fundraiser, not a unicorn. You might fit the bill. And if you are both a rockstar fundraiser and unicorn, even better! We are seeking a senior member to lead development to help us reach our moonshot faster.
We are on a mission to raise $3MM this fiscal year, and another $5MM next year. We need a strategic executor. Someone who is a committed, hard-working, organized, system-loving fundraiser who is naturally consistent, a fast learner, and has a history of raising a bunch of money for high impact organizations.
ABOUT MORE THAN ME
More Than Me is on a rocket ship. Our destination is every child safe, healthy and learning. First in Liberia, then across the world. It's happening.
Were doing this in three ways:
1) We operate a growing network of free public schools in Liberia, using education as a catalyst for social change.
2) We have a tuition-free, all-girls private Academy for vulnerable girls for grades K-9.
3) We work in partnership with the Ministry of Education and others to achieve system-wide change.
More Than Me started as a scholarship fund to get girls off the street and into school, and evolved into Liberia's first free, all girls Academy, serving 180 of Liberias most vulnerable girls. When Ebola ravaged communities, we transformed More Than Me Academy into central command for Ebola eradication, holding community meetings, distributing food, and sending ambulances and nurses into communities. We established a temporary orphanage and quarantine program for children whose families were in treatment.
Through our work with communities to eradicate Ebola, we realized that our girls would not have a secure future unless Liberia was stable. With this realization, we approached the Minister of Education and asked how could we help rebuild the education system. From this conversation a nationwide public-private school reform effort was catalyzed. Today. More Than Me runs a networks of 18 public schools and a private girls Academy, with the goal of directly reaching 500 schools and 20% of Liberias children and indirectly reaching all school aged children by 2021.
We are at the end of the second year of a three year pilot that includes a rigorous Randomized Control Trial (RCT) to measure outcomes against the broader public school system. Early results show our students experience 110% learning gains over peers in other public schools and we are designing a replicable solution that can lead to change for children across low-income countries in the developing world.
More Than Mes core values are Positive, Relentless, Honest and Embody Love. Every decision we make reflects our determination to live these values.
Our fundraising activities started in 2009 by raising money through deeply personal storytelling and events hosted by friends in their backyard. In late 2012 we won a $1MM grant through a viral campaign on Facebook. That injection of funds catalyzed our work and gave us fuel to take off.
Then, all schools in Liberia were brought to a halt and our students were living at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak. Our team fought relentlessly to keep our students alive and worked with the community to save lives. Our staff and children were in the news regularly and two of our team members were named 2014 TIME Person of the Year. With the attention, credibility, and trust we built locally, we worked with the Ministry of Education to create a plan that would ensure that children would have the knowledge and tools to stave off another Ebola epidemic. It was clear that massive system change was needed, and we helped to catalyze one of the largest education reforms in the world, Partnership Schools for Liberia, now called LEAP (Liberian Education Advancement Program).
Through the public-private partnership, More Than Me is compensated per child in our schools and we are on track to be fully sustainable in Liberia as the program expands.
After Ebola, our Founding Board Chair, Katie Borghese, was so inspired by our work that she joined the staff for two years as we expanded to the public school system. Her tenure is concluding and we are seeking a talented leader to fill her big shoes. The individual we hire will continue to build and lead our fundraising team and take it to the next level.
Today, we are seeking to engage larger funders to help us achieve scale and sustainability. We plan to appeal to investors that want a social return on their investment as well as large foundations that are energized by the potential of proven public-private partnerships in global education. We are fortunate to have a powerful network that is familiar with our work and we are seeking a super-pro who can help us realize its full potential. That means someone who can create and execute a thoughtful plan and manage a team to hit targets.
"When offered a seat on a rocket ship, you don't ask which seat. You just get on." More Than Me is a rocket and this is our moonshot. Come make history with us!
- Work closely with CEO, Board of Directors, and team to reach fundraising goals of $3MM in FY2018-2019 and $5MM for FY2019-20.
- Set and execute fundraising strategy to achieve ambitious goals
- Increasing revenue raised each year
- Maximize existing strengths including More Than Mes brand, traction, network, recurring donors, high net worth donors and foundation support.
- Our current operating reserves allow us to grow smart, not just fast.
- Hire, train, and manage existing and additional fundraising staff.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting.
- Seek new foundation, individual and corporate funding sources and maintain/build relationships with current and past donors.
- Improve and ensure maintenance of excellent donor management and online fundraising tools including Salesforce.
- Direct Asks.
- Identify new prospects and tactics to meet fundraising objectives.
- Oversee development activities, including individual giving, recurring donors, corporate and foundation relations.
- Design and implement creative and comprehensive acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for major stakeholders, specifically high net worth donors.
- Solicit large, individual, corporate and foundation gifts.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Manage More Than Mes marketing programs such as newsletters, social media, marketing campaigns, website, Quarterly Learnings Report, Annual Report, and other tools.
- Make public appearances and attend conferences with CEO to share information about the More Than Me with community and stakeholders.
- Oversee public relations, media collection, video development, graphic design.
- Support fundraising special events.
More Than Me Values: Embody Love | Be Relentless | Be Honest | Be Positive
(this is how we will know youre the right fit for the position)
- Passionate about the cause. Youre aligned with More Than Mes mission to ensure every child is safe, healthy, and learning specifically for girls. Your full potential will be realized if this is your passion too.
- Attitude is everything. Youre a team player who shows concern for people and community. You demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and strong listening skills.
- A culture fit. You feel comfortable in a strong culture of open communication and collaboration, adaptable to change, and enthusiastic about community engagement, data and feedback. Egos are left at the door. We show up every day for one reason: the children.
- Strategic thinker. You possess the skills to provide strategic and creative leadership for development. That includes articulating short- and long-term strategic plans to stakeholders and implement and maintain a structured fundraising effort.
- High achiever. You are organized, consistent and relentless about follow through on tasks and goals. You are driven to achieve targets for impact.
- Comfortable with technology. We rely deeply on Salesforce and you will, too. Ideally, you already have lived within Salesforce in a previous role. We are looking for someone familiar with HubSpot, Classy and Wordpress.
- Data interpreter. We collect data all the time on our programs, and we anticipate that youll develop a strategy that utilizes this information to unlock major funding streams.
- Excellent communicator. You have excellent verbal, written, and visual communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Experienced fundraiser. You have 7 years or more fundraising experience particularly in major gift acquisition. You know how to set and achieve fundraising goals. You can measure and communicate MTMs fundraising successes and failures through each fundraising priority and make decisions on where we invest additional resources to create the highest ROI.
- Proven manager. You have led a team of 3 or more individuals to success. You nurture greatness in others.
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience and other qualifications
Based: Remote; New York City, NY preferred. Flexible for the right candidate.
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision insurance, holidays, vacation and sick days. Opportunity for travel and to work from home.
How to Apply: Please apply online through our job applications site.
For More Information: Please visit our website at www.morethanme.org.